A. Project Goals
- Learn to make a site with multiple pages.
- Create a web site that could be published.
- Improve skills using a web page creation program.
- Reinforce writing and creativity skills.
- Teach others about teenagers.
B. Getting Started
- The project is worth 50 points and
will take three class periods to complete.
- This is an ANONYMOUS web
site. No names, phone numbers, emails, address, etc. for you or anyone else
that you know.
- Create a new folder inside of your computer folder, and name the new folder: teen[secret
code][backwards initials], example: teen2307wa
- Your secret code is your trimester, hour/period,
and computer number (as 2 digits),
- To do these steps above, Watch
this video of how to set up the folder.
C. The Home Page
- Open your
web page creation program (Dreamweaver).
- Save: Save a blank web page
into your "teen" folder
with the file name index
- Heading: Teen Mind (code number), ex. Teen
- Line: Insert horizontal rule beneath the heading
- Sentence: Type exactly this -> Click the links
to learn about a teenager.
- List: Make a list of all of the topic pages (see below).
- Format the Heading: Center the heading, and make it heading
- Title: Copy and paste the heading into the title box,
so they are both the same.
- To do these steps above Watch
this video on how to create the home page.
- Email the page to your teacher. In the subject
line of your home page, write: Home Page [and your code number]
D. The Five Topic Pages
- Favorite Things (code)
- Write a paragraph about your favorites.
- In each sentence you need: 1. the topic, 2. the
favorite, and 3. the
reason why it is your favorite.
- Sample topics: color, place, TV show, movie, day, relative, activity,
video game, sport, subject, etc.
- Example: My favorite food is veggie lasagna because it is healthy
- Career Interests (code)
- Write a paragraph describing at least three careers
that interest you and why.
- At most one may be related to talent based careers like sports, singing,
acting or etc.
- Chores & Jobs (code)
Life Goals (code)
- Write a paragraph about all the chores you do or have done.
- You can include responsibilities.
- Also write about jobs that you used to do, currently do, or
will be doing soon.
Fun Diversions (code)
- Think of two things you would like to achieve in your life before you
- Write a paragraph explaining those two goals and why you chose
- Write a paragraph about all the things you
do for fun.
- Include things such as sports, hobbies, activities and other
- Think about things you do when you have free time: weekends,
after school, vacations, etc.
E. On Every
Read each direction carefully. Follow that direction. If you need help, watch
the video. These videos in these steps do not have sound.
- Make each page interesting. Lots of detail.
Do not repeat things.
- Save! The filename is your code number, then one word to describe
the page, ex. 2310favorites (Video
- Write the name of page and then your code number at the top. ex. Favorite
Things 2310. (Video
- Insert a horizontal rule under the heading. (Video
- Write at least three full lines on every page, starting
on the fourth line (when your web page editing program is fully open).
- Use complete sentences and fix the spelling of
- Insert a horizontal rule under the writing. (Video
- Under the line type the word "Home". (Video
- Center the heading and the link to "Home". (Video
- Change the heading to Heading (Style) 1.
- Copy the heading and paste it into the Title box. (Video
- Link the word "Home" to your index page, and
from the index page back to this page. (Video
- Double check that you can link back and forth between the page you made,
and your index page.
- Save both pages.
this video to see the creation of the Favorite Things page. (This video
DOES have sound).
Hint: Review page for second day: Fast
video showing all the steps (no audio).
F. Colors & Pictures
Scoll down to look at the picture below. Then, on every page, do
- Check the spelling using: Shift+F7.
- Change the background and text colors. Video:
Changing Colors (no audio)
In the paragraph, Bold five or more separate important words AND change
the color of
each of those words.
In the heading, choose a different color for
each word, ex. Favorite Things 2310. Video:
Changing Words (no audio)
Insert one picture immediately before the first word in your paragraph.
Video: Inserting a Picture
Change the image properties (at the bottom).
Email the Favorites page to your teacher. In the email's subject
line, write: Favorite Things [your code number]
Repeat parts D, E and F for each page, until all five pages are
When all six pages are complete (5 plus Index page), then:
- Use Ctrl+J to change the
Background and Text colors
- Make one color VERY dark.
- Make the other VERY light.
- The text can not be black.
- Do NOT change the link colors.
- Email ALL
to your teacher as attachments.
- In the subject line, write: Teen Mind All Pages
[your code number]
G. The "Extra" Pages
The part of the project is worth an additional 30
will take about two class periods to complete.
- Three Wishes (code)
- Following these rules, you can make three wishes!
- Rule #1: A wish for more wishes will not work!
- Rule #2: A wish for any object or material possession for you
will not come true!
- Rule #3: A wish to harm some one or some thing will happen to
- Type each wish and explain why you wished for each one.
- After you have written this page, do all the things in part F above.
- 1000 Year from Now (code)
- Write a description of what the world will be like in 1,000 years.
- What will people be like?
- What will communities be like?
- What will the world be like?
- Use your best guesses based on everything you know.
- After you have written this page, do all the things in part F above.
- Fun Questions (code)
- Copy and paste the these
questions onto a blank web page.
- This page of questions was found on the Internet. Sometimes, people
will receive it in an email from a friend.
- Answer all the questions.
all the things you did to your other pages.
- Double check all your pages, all your links, and all the directions.
- Email the three "extras" pages to your teacher
- Raise your hand so you can have the teacher look it over.
H. Rename & Relink Pages
Exit out of Dreamweaver.
Open the folder with the web pages from this project.
Change the filename of
each page to the following new names:
- home.htm -- your home page or index page
- a1431fav.htm -- your farovites page (use your own code
- b1431car.htm -- your career page (use your own code number)
- c1431job.htm -- your chores and job page (use your own
- d1431goal.htm -- your goals page (use your own code number)
- e1431div.htm -- your fun diversions page (use your own
- x1431wishes.htm -- your wishes page
- x1431future.htm -- your 1000 years page
- x1431fun.htm -- your fun page
Now, go back into Dreamweaver, and make ALL your links
again. Make sure to save each page.
I. Add Links; Test Links; Add Flaming Text
- On each main page, make a link to "Next" and "Previous".
For example, "Next - Chores" and "Previous - Favorites".
- On each main page, link to one Web Site that is somehow related to that
- Open your Home (Index) page by opening the folder with the pages.
Go through Start->My
- Test ALL of your links. Fix any that do not work.
- For your index page make a flaming text that says "Teen Mind":
- Click to go to Flaming Text.com
- Type in the words: Teen Mind
- Click Go!, then wait until the words come up
- Right-click on the picture and and "save picture as" into your teen
- Insert Image at the Top of your
J. Final Check and Hand It In
- Raise your hand and ask your teacher to look at it.
- Double check all of the scoring on the rubric below.
- Use Start->My Computer to copy the
project from your home directory and paste it into the HandIn folder,
into the folder of this class.
Double check everything below. Each page is worth 10 points, according to
the following rubric.
- 3 points - at least three full lines of writing
- 3 points - correct
spelling, punctuation, grammar, and language use
- 1 point - horizontal lines, centering, heading style 1, and title bar
- 1 point - coloring of text & background, coloring of at
least five separate bold words
- 1 point - picture is on the page in proper place,
size, and etc.
- 1 point - link to index is at the bottom
There will be a 3 point
penalty for each link that does not work on the home (index)
The home/index page is also scored for all the same points.
EXTRA -- Here is the entire video showing the first two pages being created: Video
Tutorial of Teen Mind project
This work by Aaron Wissner is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.